6 Tips for Choosing a Wedding Reception Venue
Congratulations on being engaged! Now that you are looking for a venue for your wedding reception, there are a few details that need to be considered. Brides often forget about these aspects of the event center they are touring until it’s too late, so keep this in mind while touring potential event centers.
- Theme- Think about the overall picture you have in your head for your wedding. Does this venue reflect that idea? Do you want modern and edgy, or traditional and formal? Do you want a beach theme or a rustic feel? One of the most important parts of picking a wedding reception venue is matching it to your theme. Decorations alone cannot hide the actual location itself. Do not make the mistake of getting the cheapest option and then over-decorating to try and cover the parts you don’t like.
- Parking- Will your guests have to pay to park? Do they offer a valet service, and if so, do you want that option? In public places where guests will have to pay for parking, many brides consider factoring that cost into their budget and paying for all of their guests to park. Over estimate on how much parking your event will need- just to make sure there is space for everyone to be able to park and attend your wedding reception.
- Maximum Amount of People- Go to the tours of a wedding reception venue with an estimation of your guest amount in mind. Smaller places aren’t’ going to be able to accommodate a large amount of people, and you might end up paying more than you need to if you get a venue larger than necessary for your guests. Also, think about each phase of the wedding- is there enough room for your ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception? Is there a good backdrop area for posed pictures?
- Events per day- An important question to ask is how many events does this wedding venue take per day? If you don’t ask this, you might be unpleasantly surprised when you’re being rushed out after your ceremony for another event. Wedding reception centers who host more than one event a day may end up limiting your times and providing you with a worn out staff.
- What’s Included- As you walk through a wedding reception venue on your tour, remember that everything that is being beautifully displayed may not necessarily be included in the price you are quoted. So make sure to be very clear about what all you are getting for the price you are paying. All event centers are going to want to bring out their best when they give you the walk through, but not necessarily providing that for every event.
- Vendor Situation- Many wedding reception centers only have a few approved vendors that they allow in their facility. For example, signing with some reception centers automatically covers most the vendors you would need to hire like flowers, wedding cake, food, linens, chairs, tables, decorations, etc. Some places simply offer the space, and you will need to get separate vendors to rent furniture and cater.
Although it may seem overwhelming, if you are thorough and go through the details (including the ones listed here of course) of everything you are expecting for your big day, the process will go a lot smoother than you think.